Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Pensacola Bay Brewery (Pensacola, Florida) - 3 MAR 2014




Eight samples for $9.50.
Finding this place was a real treat. Located in the historic district of downtown Pensacola, this is certainly a great place to stop for a beer and friendly conversation. The three year old brewery sits just a block or so away from the Pensacola Bay among historic houses and museums. It isn't fancy on the inside or outside, but they had about 15 of their own beers on tap. I started off with an 8 glass sampler for $9.50. I had the Kolsch, wheat, Amber, ESBbrown, porter, IPA, and stout (follow clockwise from the top).
All of these beers were crisp and clean - totally enjoyable - though I wouldn't consider any of them exceptional. 



 
Lots of Pensacola Bay Brewery beers on tap.
The bad news was that I had forgotten my computer. The good news was that I joined right in with the conversation at the bar - which varied from 80's bands to academy award movies past and present. I didn't miss the computer one bit and enjoyed the camraderie of the folks who were there, obviously all regulars. Two bits of useful information: 1) when the Cincinnati Reds class Double A Blue Wahoos are in town, you can catch a trolley two blocks away that will take you to the ballpark, and 2) on Mondays, the Atlas Oyster House around the corner has $3/dozen oysters - though they had just run out when I got there, but they did have a couple of beers available on draft for $2.



 
Pensacola Bay Brewery brewing equipment.  Visible from the tap room. 
The tasting room has a nice set up. The brewery is visible through windows that separate the brewery from the tasting room. They have a nice bar with mulitple taps, all Pensacola Bay Brewery Beers except for a few commercial ciders. Interestingly, the beers are served with a mixture of CO2 and N2. I haven't seen this around in many places, it is usually one or the other.
This is definitely a place that caters to beer fans.  The bartender was knowledgeable about the beers and after my sampler, I asked to try several additonal beers.  Instead of a tiny pour, I was given a full sample of the following:  the Berliner Weiss, the special bitter, and the imperial stout.  I've only seen craft beer versions of Berliner Weiss twice.  This one wasn't as good as the Dogfish version, but it was made with real rasberries and would certainly be a great summer session beer.  It was interesting to compare the special bitter vs. the extra special bitter and who can complain about an imperial stout. 

No comments:

Post a Comment